July 1, 2020
Dear Victory Family,
The Alberta government has rolled out Phase Two of their reopening strategy on June 12, 2020, where places of worship within the province have been given the green light to begin reopening. This is good news for many who are eager to resume Live In-Person services, while others are still somewhat apprehensive in attending live gatherings once again. It is important to understand that the green light to begin our live worship services comes with many restrictions as outlined by the Government’s relaunch strategy. We as a worship community will do our utmost to adhere to their plan in order to make our services a safe, stress-free environment for you and your family. The following is a strategy to slowly and safely reopen our facility and corporate gatherings.
Before rolling out the plan, I want to stress an important point. It would be easy for the details surrounding reopening to create division in the church. Some may feel as if we are not moving quickly enough, and others might be concerned that this plan moves too fast. In this season, we’re asking for an abundance of grace and understanding for the people of Victory Life Church.
As you’ll see in this plan, at every phase we’re attempting to offer both Live opportunities for worship as well as continuing with our Online Services. Some of you are in a high-risk category and may want to consider returning to public gatherings slower than others. Some of our families will have to decide what works best for both parents and children until we’re able to offer our full kid’s ministry again.
Please know that however you choose to worship with us in the coming months, our Victory Family is thankful for you and we’re praying for you. Regardless of what your Sunday morning looks like over the next few months, we’re going to continue to grow closer to Jesus together and love others well.
If you have any questions about this plan or you’re not quite sure how to re-engage, please contact us by replying to this email and we’ll be happy to get you connected.
Here is what we anticipate for the next few months at Victory Life Church. Again, things could dramatically change if there are new developments in our situation. We will be adhering to Alberta’s guidelines for mass gatherings as best we can, as we work through this progression.
Step 1: July 19 – August 31
- Barring any setbacks, VLC will host in-person services in a modified form in keeping with the Alberta Government’s Relaunch strategy as best as we can on Sunday, July 19.
- Unless things change, our Kids ministry (ages 3-12) will not be offered throughout the summer months. At this time, we are not allowed to offer programs for kids 2 yrs. and under and we are hoping this will resume in Phase 3 or 4 of their relaunch strategy.
- We are working hard at changing the way we operate to create a touchless service. This means: all handouts such as bulletins, connect cards…etc. will be made available online; no paper copies will be handed out. There will be no coffee or snacks available, including water.
- You are welcome to bring your own beverage, but please respect the “no sharing” requirement. (Bringing a small snack for your children is also ok, but please try to stick with something that isn’t messy—dried fruit is a good option and please clean up after yourselves.)
- Options for our Offerings will continue to be available online through PayPal or Interact Transfer as well as our debit machine, which will be sanitized after each use. Envelopes will also be available and if you could avoid licking the envelop that would be great and if you can avoid using cash that would also be helpful (don’t believe we’re saying this).
Here are the guidelines the church will be work hard at adhering to:
- The Government of Alberta strongly encourages (but it is not mandated) each church to keep a register of all attendees on file for 2 weeks at a time. This will help with contact tracing in the case of an outbreak occurring through one of our services. This information stays in our files—we don’t share it with the government unless there is an outbreak. The Registration form is available on our website at: https://victorylifechurch.ca/forms/
- Attendees will be seated in every other row with three chairs of separation between households. Following the service, guests will be dismissed row by row and in a way that avoids cross traffic and allows for appropriate physical distancing during dismissal.
- Masks or Face Shields will be worn by all staff members and volunteers, except when they are on stage. If requested, attendees will be provided with a mask if they do not have one. Masks or Face Shields are not mandatory but strongly recommended.
- Greeters and ushers will guide guests through the lobby along a designated path directly to the auditorium. They will ensure proper distancing is maintained while seating guests. At the end of the service, they will help guide guests to the exit to avoid cross traffic.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided at the entry and exit points of the building. Doors will be propped open to minimize touchpoints. Surfaces, such as door handles and chairs, will be sanitized before and after every service. When using the bathroom, please ensure physical distancing measures are met. Bathrooms will be disinfected before and after every service. Access to rooms within the building will be limited to only necessary personnel.
- We will encourage those who plan to attend to take the Alberta Health self-assessment tool (it is linked to our registration form). Anyone exhibiting symptoms are asked to remain home and watch the service online.
- Children are welcome to attend the service but must remain with their parents/guardians at all times. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by their parent/guardian whenever they use the bathroom facilities. (This is to ensure proper protocols are respected)
- Congregational singing will be allowed however, it is encouraged that you wear a mask, or some form of face covering – face shield…etc.
- If an individual or family wishes to receive altar ministry or prayer, they must wait until an appropriate time before coming forward to avoid cross traffic and maintain proper physical distancing measures during the dismissal at the end of the service. Our prayer team will be required to wear a mask/shield, as physical distancing is not possible during this time. It is strongly recommended that the individual coming forward for prayer also wear a mask/shield. Skin to skin contact will be avoided and hands will be sanitized after each person is prayed for. (Gloves are not required and will not be provided.)
- We will continue to stream our services as we have in the past months on our website, through Facebook and on YouTube, for those who are not ready or not able to gather at our facility for live services. (By the way, we need some folks who can attend, to volunteer to help with cameras, sound, stage design, etc. If you’re either technical or artistic, we’d love to hear from you!)
I hope this gives you some idea of what our reopening strategy at VLC might look like in the coming months. We can’t wait to see you again.
Your safety and the safety of our community is our foremost priority. I know God has been at work the past few months and He will continue to work as we transition back to Live in-person services together.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.
Pastors Scott & Yvette Debrecen Lead Pastors